Thursday, June 16, 2011

Intern Spotlight--Laura Cohen









Written by: Krista Baum


Intern Background

Name: Laura Cohen

Where you’re from: Mount Prospect, IL

Major/School: Double Major in International Studies and French at Illinois Wesleyan University

Intern Position: Non-Profit Development

KB: What international experience have you had?

LC: I studied abroad in Nantes, France for a semester where I immersed myself in the French culture by staying with a French family and all of my courses were taught in French. I also took a 2 ½ week class touring in Italy, and in the past I participated in a high school weeklong exchange in Paris. I have also traveled to England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, and Mexico.

KB: Why did you decide to intern with Hostelling International Chicago this summer?

LC: I was interested in exploring non-profit development as a career path but I also wanted to do something that had international aspects to it. Also I’m very pro Chicago and I like the idea of such a well rounded hostel in this great city.

KB: What do you hope to learn from this internship?

LC: I want to learn about the fundamentals of non-profit development, how to create grant-proposals, and learn the logistics of how to execute a successful fundraiser.

KB: Where would you like to travel in the future?

LC: Spain and Greece!

No comments: