Friday, July 9, 2010

Traveler Spotlight

Intern Lauraly chats with Chris at the Ice Cream Social:

Where are you from, Chris?
I'm from Copenhagen, Denmark.

What brings you to Chicago?
I was supposed to be taking a roadtrip from New York to California with my friend, but she decided to stay in New York and I continued on alone. Now I'm traveling across the country by bus, taking in the sights. It has been quite an adventure!

What have you been up to since you arrived?
Well, I have only been in Chicago for two days so far. I have spent most of my time walking around and talking to people that I meet along the way. I am a writer so I have been spending a lot of time writing about what I see and the stories I hear.

What's the best Chicago attraction you've experienced?
I would have to say Millennium Park. The fountain with the faces and the bean are such amazing places to people-watch and spend a relaxing day.

What else has amazed you during your travels?
I was in Manhattan, sitting in Central Park in the evening, and I started seeing all of these little glimmering lights. I couldn't figure out what they were, but eventually I saw one of the little lights up close and realized it was a bug- a lightning bug! I honestly thought that they were some fantastical creature that only existed in Shrek! We don't have lightning bugs in Denmark, so I was definitely amazed by that.

That's hilarious! So, what's the next stop you're making after Chicago?
I'm waiting for my friend to catch up with me in Chicago, and then we're taking a bus to Wyoming to see Yellowstone National Park. I want to hike in the Rocky Mountains and eventually head over to California to work and live on an organic farm for the rest of the summer.

Sounds like a great plan, there are tons of lightning bugs out there in the summer!

No comments: