Tuesday, January 31, 2012


Hostelling International Chicago, in collaboration with The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, hosted the 6th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Mural Competition, honoring the life and work of Dr. King and the continuing struggle for civil rights today.

Every week we will be posting two of the12 murals that are exhibit on our 2nd floor windows. If you pass by the Hostel you can take a closer look to the beautiful murals. The exhibition is open now though March.


“Entering college was like a cultural shock to me, all I knew was Black and I sometimes find it difficult to socialize because of the lack of integration. My mural is basically a visual summary of that desire I have for more communities and school districts to become integrated, so that people can have the opportunity to obtain a more well-rounded view of life.”  First place winner Channel C. Thomas.


“I decided to use thin Japanese paper, letting the light go through it so the installation would change throughout the day, to create a human shape based on Martin Luther King, Jr.'s figure… My challenge with the "Paper Thin" installation was really to show how just one human being, been as fragile as paper like anybody, can change the face of history with a vision.” Second place winner Marc Socie.

No comments: